Private Tutors for French, German & Spanish
Learning a foreign language such as French, German or Spanish can be challenging but also fun. The right language tutor can make all the difference between fun, effective language learning and lessons in frustration so further down the page we offer tips on choosing a language tutor for French, Spanish or German Tuition in Manchester, Stockport & Wilmslow, Macclesfield, Knutsford, Holmes Chapel and other Cheshire areas.
Our language tutors in Manchester, Stockport & Wilmslow, Knutsford, Holmes Chapel & other Cheshire areas offer 1-2-1 home tuition in:
- English (as second language; EFL)
Do you need more confidence to speak a new language or are you struggling with GCSE's or A levels (AS or A2)? Or do you just want to learn a new language or brush up your skills for a trip abroad?
Whatever your level - from absolute beginner to intermediate or advanced, or if you are working towards a qualification (GCSE, A levels or degree for example)- our private language tutors in Manchester, Stockport & Wilmslow, Macclesfield, Cheshire areas can provide tuition to help you learn French, German, Spanish & Italian at any level. Our language tutors have experience tutoring at all levels and also to all ages from age 3 years to adult.
Choosing a language tutor
Learning a foreign language such as French or German or Spanish can be challenging but learning a language can also be fun. However it is important to find the right language teacher. The right tutor can make all the difference and because private language lessons are an investment of time and money, it's worth putting some effort into finding a good tutor but first a few questions about the learner...
Why do you want to learn a language?
- What level of fluency do you want to reach and how soon do you want to get there?
- What kind of study schedule can you manage?
- Do you need to pass a particular language exam such as GCSE or A level?
What is your learning style?
- Do you learn better through writing exercises or by having conversations?
- Do you like to use visuals or hands-on activities?
Where tutors can help?
- Vocabulary - One of the most difficult aspects of learning a foreign language is the vocabulary - building a working vocabulary is difficult and relies very heavily on memory. Do you remember how long it took you to be able to string a sentence together in your first language!? If you want to learn German, for example, then you have to build up a whole new vocabulary. We would suggest you ask a tutor to regularly run through vocabulary to help build a foundation of words.
- Grammar can be challenging for many students especially because English-American grammar is often very different from that of other languages. For example words in French have an article put in front them to describe them as masculine or feminine and there are also accents and other punctuation marks that are very different.
- Pronunciation – answering a question in a foreign language can be a really uncomfortable experience for the learner in a class situation, especially if they feel self-conscious about their accent and don’t want to appear to ‘make a fool of themselves’. With private tuition, tutors can work one-on-one with students to help improve their pronunciation and confidence and so help the learner improve their accent without feeling self-conscious.
Finding the right language tutor.
Like learners have different learning styles, tutors have different tutoring styles so it is important that the student and tutor have compatible styles. This may not be immediately evident so try to find out how the tutor approaches language learning and their own experience of the language and tutoring.
You could ask if the tutor places more emphasis on conversation and listening activities or on written activities or equally on both. A good tutor will be able to adjust their methods, as all students learn differently, but it will be easier to work with a tutor who naturally prefers the same methods as the student.
Native speaker vs ‘home’ speaker? Language tutors are often multilingual and so fluent in two or more languages – we have many tutors that are English native speakers and fluent in both French and German or French and Spanish for example; and native French speaking tutors that are fluent in English. Which private learning tutor is best depends on the requirements of the learner and why they are looking to take language lessons. If the main reason for lessons is to be able to hold a conversation in a foreign language, rather than passing a GCSE or A level for example, then a native speaker may be best. But, whilst a native speaker may offer the learner the best help with pronunciation it is wise to check that the tutor is speaking the same dialect as needed and/or being taught in class because there are variations. If the main aim of the lessons is to pass a GCSE or A level exam for example, then it is important to check the tutor is familiar with the syllabus and that s/he is able to explain concepts in the student’s own language. In some circumstances it is difficult for a child to learn a foreign language if their tutor isn’t very fluent in English for example.
How can we help?
We have specialist French, German, Spanish and the occasional Italian, language tutors that are bi- and often multi- lingual.
Our language tutors ensure their languages are fluent and current by making regular trips abroad. In fact, many of our language tutors have lived and worked abroad, often as teachers.
Many of our language tutors are native speakers.
Our private language tutors offer personalised support and a flexible, individual course styled to suit your needs - for GCSE, A level, work, travel or simply for pleasure. For students in the early stages of learning a foreign language, our language tutors can help you practice speaking the language, without the intimidation of a group to speak in front of.
Your next step
If you are looking for French, German or Spanish tuition in Manchester, Stockport and/or Wilmslow, Macclesfield, Cheshire areas then please call us on 01625 531 360 ( mobile 07914 568 259) or fill out our find a tutor form.
We have French, German, Spanish & Italian tutors to help with all levels of learning a new language in local areas such as Alderley Edge, Bramhall, Burnage, Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme, Didsbury, Heaton Chapel, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Manchester, Mobberley, Reddish, Sale, Stockport, Stretford, Wilmslow.
THANK-YOU for choosing 1-2-1 Home Tutors